The Rent Increases (Domestic Premises) Control Act 1978 currently applies to a tenancy of any residential unit with an annual rental value of $22,800 or less.
The ARV of any premises may be found at www.landvaluation.bm or at your local post office.
The objective of the Rent Increases (Domestic Premises) Control Act 1978 is:
- To provide a legal process against arbitrary eviction.
- To assess whether the rent increase requested is fair given the repair and condition of the unit.
The following rental units are exempted from the Rent Increases (Domestic Premises) Control Act 1978:
- Rental Units that have an ARV higher than $22,800
- The tenant is an employee of the landlord and the unit forms part of the employment contract;
- Premises that have a Vacation Rental (rent-control) Certificate issued by Consumer Affairs;
- Premises are normally occupied by a landlord who wishes to let them during his temporary absence from the Island for less than one year;
- Premises that are a boarding or lodging house.
Get in touch with us today
We have been renting an apartment on Cove Valley Road through JBM Realty for the past 4 years. The service provided by Judy Maybury was phenomenal. She was always readily available to respond to our emails and addressed any issues promptly and efficiently. She always seemed to have our best interest at heart and made every effort she could to see that our tenancy was as comfortable as possible. We would highly recommend her services to anyone seeking property in Bermuda. JBM Realty is first class”
Terry & Karen Henry, St Davids
“I have no hesitation in recommending JBM Realty and & Judy Maybury. Her hard work and experience in real estate were invaluable to a successful outcome.””
“Mrs. Maybury has a very good work ethic. Her manner of dealing with people is most admirable. She is honest yet tactful. She also expects quality service, a feature that is so important for the work with which she is involved. She is also very personable, pleasant, polite, and considerate. I am truly grateful that she agreed to work with me and assisted in getting my property not only on the market but in a very short time, she was able to secure tenants for the property. Judy Maybury does excellent work indeed. In my view, she is a most valuable asset to JBM Realty & Associates.””
“I am writing to express my utmost gratitude for your services over the past 2 ½ years which I searched for the right home to buy. I can assure you that I will always recommend you as an agent to anyone I know that is looking to buy, sell or rent.
Thank you for all you have done and all that you continue to do. JBM really has a super-agent!”