The Rent Increases (Domestic Premises) Control Act 1978 currently applies to a tenancy of any residential unit with an annual rental value of $22,800 or less.
The ARV of any premises may be found at www.landvaluation.bm or at your local post office.
The objective of the Rent Increases (Domestic Premises) Control Act 1978 is:
- To provide a legal process against arbitrary eviction.
- To assess whether the rent increase requested is fair given the repair and condition of the unit.
The following rental units are exempted from the Rent Increases (Domestic Premises) Control Act 1978:
- Rental Units that have an ARV higher than $22,800
- The tenant is an employee of the landlord and the unit forms part of the employment contract;
- Premises that have a Vacation Rental (rent-control) Certificate issued by Consumer Affairs;
- Premises are normally occupied by a landlord who wishes to let them during his temporary absence from the Island for less than one year;
- Premises that are a boarding or lodging house.